The AAML - Who Are They and Why Should You Hire One?
By Edward S. Snyder on July 13, 2022
There are many factors to consider when choosing an attorney in a family law matter. With so many matrimonial lawyers, how do you choose? Whether you are facing divorce, child custody and relocation, alimony issues, domestic violence, domestic partnerships and civil unions and more, it is important to find the family law attorney that is right for you.
The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers was founded in 1962 and is a national organization with chapters in most states. There are only approximately 1,650 Fellows in the United States and only 52 Fellows in New Jersey. The AAML is dedicated to providing and promoting the highest degree of professionalism and excellence in the practice of family law. Being represented by a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, is the same as being represented by a leading practitioner in the field of family law.
How do family law attorneys become Fellows?
To be a Fellow of the AMML, an attorney needs to meet the following admissions standards:
- Must have practiced for at least 10 years.
- At least 74% of the applicant’s practice must be devoted to family law.
- Must be a member in good standing of the state bar.
- Demonstrate substantial involvement in the area of matrimonial and family law, beyond just their firm. They do this by teaching, lecturing, serving as court appointed guardians ad litem, serving as mediators and authoring articles on family law.
- Must be able to competently handle complex family law cases and have substantial experience in trials and settlement.
- Must be certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as Matrimonial Law Attorney (only approximately 2.5% of New Jersey attorneys obtain this designation).
- Must take and pass a National Exam given by the National Academy.
Why is this important?
AMML members are recognized by their peers and judges as leading practitioners for their knowledge, skills, integrity and professionalism. When hiring an AMML Fellow, you can be confident that you will be represented by a family law attorney who specializes in complex family law issues who will help you obtain a fair and equitable solution. Many of the Fellows are involved in making or changing laws involving divorce and families in New Jersey. Others are mediators and certified arbitrators who assist families in resolving disputes outside of court. Divorce and family law issues can be complex and emotional. You need trusted advice from someone who can see through the emotions and guide you towards the best possible outcome.
Why hire a SSDMD family/matrimonial law attorney?
Many Snyder Sarno D’Aniello Maceri & da Costa LLC family/matrimonial attorneys are Fellows of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Our team of matrimonial attorneys can handle every aspect of family law from divorce and child custody to equitable distribution of property and child support. We have taken cases all the way to the New Jersey Supreme Court for our clients. When your family faces legal challenges, we are here to support you in your time of need.
Edward S. Snyder, Esq., is a Fellow of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. He is a Partner at Snyder Sarno D’Aniello Maceri & da Costa LLC in Roseland, NJ, and has been practicing family law for over 50 years. Visit www.snydersarno.com for more information.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey.
Related to This
If You Have a Case, Give Us A Call Today!973-274-5200