Paul M. da Costa, Partner
Paul M. da Costa, Esq., is a partner at Snyder Sarno D’Aniello Maceri & da Costa LLC, and he is a certified civil trial attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. He is also a Fellow of the prestigious Litigation Counsel of America1 and is admitted to practice law in both the State of New Jersey and the District of Columbia. He dedicates his practice to protecting the rights of all individuals that have been wronged through no fault of their own.
Mr. da Costa is dedicated to providing a voice to individuals that have been the victim of medical malpractice, nursing home malpractice, car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, defective products, construction accidents, sexual abuse, birth injury, brain damage, burn injuries, spinal cord injuries and wrongful death. He focuses his practice in the areas of medical malpractice, products liability, mass torts and catastrophic personal injury cases.
Mr. da Costa has handled a vast array of medical malpractice cases involving claims of, among others, failure to diagnose cancer, obstetrical injuries, wrongful birth and wrongful death. Mr. da Costa has also handled motor vehicle accidents, bus crashes, pedestrian accidents, work site toxic exposure, and products liability cases involving pharmaceutical and medical device products, sports and recreational products, construction equipment, ladders and tires. In addition, he has experience in handling cases involving sexual tort claims against religious institutions and mental health professionals.
Through his tenacious and diligent advocacy, Mr. da Costa makes it his priority to “right the wrongs” that have been forced upon his clients. Mr. da Costa is not afraid to take cases to trial because he is a firm believer that pursuing the truth through litigation will prevent potential future wrongs. Mr. da Costa has obtained seven-figure trial verdicts and settlements for his clients, including an $8.5 million and $4.5 million jury verdicts in surgical error cases, as well as a $1.5 million trial verdict in an ob/gyn case. His most recent seven-figure settlement was a $3.2 million anesthesia medical malpractice case. He also recently settled a $2.5 million case against New Jersey Transit ("NJT") where his client was a pedestrian struck by an NJT bus.
In 2018, Mr. da Costa continued to get recognized for his work when the New Jersey Law Journal listed Mr. da Costa three times on their list of Top 20 Settlements and Verdicts. In 2017, Mr. da Costa again received recognition for his accomplishments while securing two spots in New Jersey Law Journal’s Top 20 Personal Injury Awards of the Year. His cases landed him in the 6th and 17thspot for the year. Earning him 6th place was a case of unnecessary surgery that a Monmouth County court awarded $8.5M. The 17th spot was awarded in the case of spinal surgery complications leading to a $4.5M verdict in Union County.
In 2016, Mr. da Costa secured a $2.6 million settlement from the State of New Jersey on behalf of the Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCPP), formerly known as DYFS. The settlement was for the estate of a seven-year old boy, which the New Jersey Law Journal identified in its “2016 Personal Injury Special Section.” In 2016, two of Mr. da Costa’s settlements, $3 million and $1 million, were included in Verdict Search’s “Top New Jersey Settlements 2016” publication. The $3 million settlement was ranked third in the professional negligence category, and the $1 million settlement was ranked fourteenth in the medical malpractice category.
Currently, Mr. da Costa is representing several of the families whose loved ones suffered from the adenovirus outbreak at The Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Haskell, NJ. The adenovirus outbreak claimed the lives of 11 children.
Mr. da Costa has been included on Thomson Reuters’ New Jersey Super Lawyer list from 2017 - 20192 as well as Thomson Reuters’ New Jersey Rising Stars list in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.3 In 2016, Mr. da Costa was also selected by the New Jersey Law Journal as one of the New Leaders of the Bar 2016. He is on the Board of Governors for the New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ), and has been selected for membership into The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40 [in New Jersey],4 National Trial Lawyers and Top 25 Medical Malpractice Attorneys [in New Jersey],5 and also to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers.6
Mr. da Costa is a 2003 graduate of Seton Hall University’s J.D. / M.A.D.I.R. joint-degree program, a collaboration of the School of Law and the School of Diplomacy and International Relations. He obtained his undergraduate degree from Rutgers University, Rutgers College. Mr. da Costa has also successfully completed the trial advocacy institute administered by the National Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia School of Law.
Mr. da Costa is a frequent lecturer and presenter at continuing legal education (“CLE”) programs.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court.
1. Fellowship in the Litigation Counsel of America is by invitation only and highly selective. The Litigation Counsel of America is a trial lawyer honorary society, and its membership is limited to 3,500 Fellows, representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.. Fellows are selected based upon accomplishment in litigation and trial work, as well as superior ethical representation.
2. Paul M. da Costa has been included on Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers list for 2017 and 2018. He was previously included on Thomson Reuters’ Rising Stars list in 2008, 2010-2016. The Super Lawyers list is generated using a patented selection process involving three basic steps: creation of the candidate pool using peer nominations; evaluations of candidates by the research department; and peer evaluation by practice area.
3. The Rising Stars list is generated using a process involving three basic steps: creation of the candidate pool using peer nominations of who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less; evaluation of candidates by the research department by assigning points based on a set of defined evaluation criteria; and ranking and selecting those candidates with the highest point totals.
4. The National Trial Lawyers - Top 40 Under 40: Paul M. da Costa has been selected as The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40 for 2015. The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40 is a professional organization composed of the top trial lawyers from each state or region who are under the age of 40. The award is conferred to at least 40 attorneys per state, some states may be comprised of multiple regions. Therefore inclusion on the list does not guarantee that only 40 from each state are chosen. Membership into The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40 is by invitation only and is extended exclusively to those trial lawyers practicing civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense law. Membership is extended solely to the select few of the most qualified attorneys from each state or region who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile measured by objective and uniformly applied standards in compliance with state bar and national Rule 4-7. Invitees must exemplify superior qualifications, trial results, and leadership as a young lawyer under the age of 40. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase objective process which includes peer nominations combined with third-party research. Each of our distinguished Top 40 under 40 members strives to encompass the knowledge, skill, experience and success held by only the best lawyers in America. It National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40’s mission to promote a unique and professional networking opportunity for young lawyers, while developing progressive ideas to pursue justice for those injured by the negligence of others, to educate the public about the importance of access to courts that are free of bias and undue influence, and to protect the right of trial by jury.
5. Top 25 Medical Malpractice Trial Lawyers: Paul M. da Costa has been selected to the National Trial Lawyers and Top 25 Medical Malpractice Attorneys [in New Jersey]. The National Trial Lawyers Top 25 Medical Malpractice Attorneys [in New Jersey] are professional organizations composed of the top trial lawyers from each state or region who are specialists in medical malpractice. Membership into The National Trial Lawyers Top 25 Medical Malpractice is by invitation only and is extended to those trial lawyers practicing civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense law that qualify as being one of the Top 25 Attorneys in the State or Region. Some states have two regions, therefore the award is may be conferred to more than 25 attorneys within a single state. Membership is extended to qualified attorneys from the state who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile measured by objective and uniformly applied standards in compliance with state bar and national Rule 4-7. Invitees must exemplify superior qualifications, trial results, and leadership. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase objective process which includes peer nominations combined with third-party research.
6. Top 100 Trial Lawyers: “The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100” is an invitation-only organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from each state or region who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase objective and uniformly applied process which includes peer nominations combined with third-party research. Membership is extended to the top 100 attorneys from each state or region (some states have multiple regions) who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile measured by objective and uniformly applied standards in compliance with state bar and national Rule 4-7. The award is conferred to at least 100 attorneys per state. The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is an essential source of information, education and networking for the most accomplished trial lawyers throughout America. Through unique and professional networking opportunities, information and CLE programs, we continually strive to give our members a competitive edge in today’s ever-changing legal profession. It is the mission of The National Trial Lawyers to provide networking opportunities, advocacy training, and the highest quality educational programs for the nation’s leading trial lawyers. Each of our distinguished Top 100 members possesses the knowledge, skill, experience and success held by only the best and finest lawyers in America. By combining resources, power, and influence, The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is devoted to preserving and protecting justice for all. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Paralegal: Walter Ramos
425 Eagle Rock Avenue, Suite 202
Roseland, NJ 07068
(973) 274 - 5200 | Fax: (973) 274 - 5202
Civil Trial Advocacy Do's & Dont's: Tips for the Novice (Jan. 2014). Read more.
How is ADR used in family law vs. civil law matters and what is the difference? Read more.
Civil Trial Advocacy Do’s and Dont’s: Tips for the Novice (Apr. 2015). Read more.
20th Annual Medical Malpractice Update: What Effect, if any, Does the Affordable Care Act have on Life Care Plans? Read more.
Medical Malpractice - Meadowlands Seminar 2016 Topic: Mock Trial of an Anesthesia Malpractice Case - Cross of Defense Liability Expert. Read more.
Medical Malpractice - Boardwalk Seminar 2017 Topic: Using Medical Learned Treatise. Read more.
Paul speaking on Direct and Cross Examination. Read more.
Civil Trial Advocacy Do’s and Dont’s: Tips for the Novice (May 2017). Read more.
- Angelo Sarno
- Edward S. Snyder
- Jerry S. D'Aniello
- Joseph V. Maceri
- Paul M. da Costa
- Stacey A. Cozewith
- Scott D. Danaher
- Adelaide Riggi
- Laura Guinta Gencarelli
"I was involved in a VERY complicated and tumultuous child custody, divorce, domestic violence case for two full years. I was fortunate enough to be represented by one of the top matrimonial teams in the state of NJ, and the outcome in my case exceeded my every expectation." - Former Client"Paul personally stood by my side and represented me throughout my injury case. Whether it was business at hand, advice, or a late night phone call to help me understand what was going on; he never took a step back towards helping me. I knew that I could call on him at any time . My case was very successful and I attribute that to Paul's dedication . He even came to me during a snow storm when I could not make it to his office. I certainly would recommend him to anyone." - Former Client