Michael J. Stanton, Of Counsel
Michael J. Stanton, of Counsel to the firm, devotes his practice exclusively to matrimonial law.
He is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney, Certified as a Matrimonial Law Arbitrator by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and trained as a Matrimonial Law Mediator as required by New Jersey Court Rule 1:40. He has experience in all aspects of matrimonial law, including divorce litigation, complex valuation, and distribution issues concerning businesses, professional practices, stock options, and other professional and executive benefits, alimony, child support, custody and parenting issues, visitation rights, domestic violence, pre-nuptial agreements, palimony, arbitration, and mediation.
He has been a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers for over twenty years and a member of the New Jersey Bar Association (NJSBA) since 1979, where he served as a Section/Committee Trustee. He served as Chair of the NJSBA Family Law Section and has been a member of the Executive Committee of the Family Law Section for more than twenty years. He also served on the NJSBA Military Law and Veterans’ Affairs Committee and Long-Term Planning Committee, was Chair of the Fee Arbitration Committee, and was a member of the District XIII Ethics Committee.
He has lectured in numerous family law programs and has authored numerous articles for the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, and other organizations.
In 2010, he was selected by the Family Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association to receive the Saul A. Tischler Award, a prestigious lifetime achievement award, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the practice of family law. He has continuously been listed for over ten years in The Best Lawyers In America in the Family Law section and New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Family Law section, and was named the Best Lawyers 2016 Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in the Woodbridge New Jersey, Metro Area. He is also a member of the prestigious Matrimonial Lawyers Alliance.
Legal Assistant: Karina Morel
440 Route 22 East, Suite 170
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
(908) 927 - 0200 | Fax: (908) 927 - 0207
· Wist v. Wist, 101 NJ 509 (1986) Argila v. Argila, 256 NJ Super 484 (App. Div, 1992)
· Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys to Speak at the NJSBA Annual Meeting and Convention, May 19-21, 2010
· Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Members To Participate in NJSBA’s Mid-Year Meeting, November 3-8, 2009, San Francisco, California
· “The COLA Adjustment and the Three Year Review,” 2009 Family Law Symposium, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Hyatt Regency, New Brunswick, New Jersey, January 31, 2009
· E-Privacy, E-Discovery, E-Evidence Mock Trial, Meadowlands Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America – New Jersey, East Rutherford, New Jersey, October 18, 2008
· “Custody Expert – Individual Expert or Joint Expert? Which to Use? Why?” Hot Tips in Family Law 2008: Back to Basics, New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section in association with the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Brunswick, New Jersey, September 20,2008
· 2008 Family Law Symposium, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education in cooperation with the New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section, Iselin, New Jersey, January 25-26, 2008
· “Hot Tips in Family Law 2007: Factors, Grounds & Tests,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education in cooperation with the New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section, September 29, 2007
· “When Adultery Drives the Train: Dealing With the Angry Client,” Law and the Libido, New Jersey Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, The Metropolitan Club, New York City, September 16, 2006
· “Summaries-Rule 1006,” More Hot Tips in Family Law 2006, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey Law Center, New Brunswick, September 9, 2006
· “2006 Family Law Symposium,” New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section and New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 28, 2006
- Angelo Sarno
- Edward S. Snyder
- Jerry S. D'Aniello
- Joseph V. Maceri
- Paul M. da Costa
- Stacey A. Cozewith
- Scott D. Danaher
- Adelaide Riggi
- Laura Guinta Gencarelli
Michael J. Stanton was selected to the 2016 Super Lawyers list. The Super Lawyers List is issued by Thompson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Michael J. Stanton was selected to the 2017 Best Lawyers® list. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Michael J. Stanton was selected to the 2016 Best Lawyers® Lawyer of The Year list. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
2010 Saul A. Tischler Award.
"I was involved in a VERY complicated and tumultuous child custody, divorce, domestic violence case for two full years. I was fortunate enough to be represented by one of the top matrimonial teams in the state of NJ, and the outcome in my case exceeded my every expectation." - Former Client"Paul personally stood by my side and represented me throughout my injury case. Whether it was business at hand, advice, or a late night phone call to help me understand what was going on; he never took a step back towards helping me. I knew that I could call on him at any time . My case was very successful and I attribute that to Paul's dedication . He even came to me during a snow storm when I could not make it to his office. I certainly would recommend him to anyone." - Former Client