Michael J. Stanton, Of Counsel
Michael J. Stanton, of Counsel to the firm, devotes his practice exclusively to matrimonial law.
He is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney, Certified as a Matrimonial Law Arbitrator by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and trained as a Matrimonial Law Mediator as required by New Jersey Court Rule 1:40. He has experience in all aspects of matrimonial law, including divorce litigation, complex valuation, and distribution issues concerning businesses, professional practices, stock options, and other professional and executive benefits, alimony, child support, custody and parenting issues, visitation rights, domestic violence, pre-nuptial agreements, palimony, arbitration, and mediation.
He has been a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers for over twenty years and a member of the New Jersey Bar Association (NJSBA) since 1979, where he served as a Section/Committee Trustee. He served as Chair of the NJSBA Family Law Section and has been a member of the Executive Committee of the Family Law Section for more than twenty years. He also served on the NJSBA Military Law and Veterans’ Affairs Committee and Long-Term Planning Committee, was Chair of the Fee Arbitration Committee, and was a member of the District XIII Ethics Committee.
He has lectured in numerous family law programs and has authored numerous articles for the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, and other organizations.
In 2010, he was selected by the Family Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association to receive the Saul A. Tischler Award, a prestigious lifetime achievement award, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the practice of family law.
More Information About the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers:
· Wist v. Wist, 101 NJ 509 (1986) Argila v. Argila, 256 NJ Super 484 (App. Div, 1992)
· Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys to Speak at the NJSBA Annual Meeting and Convention, May 19-21, 2010
· Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Members To Participate in NJSBA’s Mid-Year Meeting, November 3-8, 2009, San Francisco, California
· “The COLA Adjustment and the Three Year Review,” 2009 Family Law Symposium, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Hyatt Regency, New Brunswick, New Jersey, January 31, 2009
· E-Privacy, E-Discovery, E-Evidence Mock Trial, Meadowlands Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America – New Jersey, East Rutherford, New Jersey, October 18, 2008
· “Custody Expert – Individual Expert or Joint Expert? Which to Use? Why?” Hot Tips in Family Law 2008: Back to Basics, New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section in association with the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Brunswick, New Jersey, September 20,2008
· 2008 Family Law Symposium, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education in cooperation with the New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section, Iselin, New Jersey, January 25-26, 2008
· “Hot Tips in Family Law 2007: Factors, Grounds & Tests,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education in cooperation with the New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section, September 29, 2007
· “When Adultery Drives the Train: Dealing With the Angry Client,” Law and the Libido, New Jersey Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, The Metropolitan Club, New York City, September 16, 2006
· “Summaries-Rule 1006,” More Hot Tips in Family Law 2006, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey Law Center, New Brunswick, September 9, 2006
· “2006 Family Law Symposium,” New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section and New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 28, 2006
Awards, Recognitions, & Professional Associations
- Angelo Sarno
- Edward S. Snyder
- Jerry S. D'Aniello
- Joseph V. Maceri
- Paul M. da Costa
- Stacey A. Cozewith
- Scott D. Danaher
- Adelaide Riggi
- Laura Guinta Gencarelli
- Daniel B. Devinney
- Julie R. Katz
If You Have a Case, Give Us A Call Today!973-274-5200